Patient and caregiver education comes first in the management of asthma and allergic diseases. Learning about the underlying causes of asthma, the relationship of asthma and allergies and proper use of medications helps increase the quality of life for everyone affected by these diseases, reduces absenteeism, emergency room visits, hospitalizations and medical costs. AAFA-TX provides asthma and allergy disease education, resources and support to patients, caregivers and healthcare professionals.
Between 2001 and April, 2007, we have:
- Educated 1,927 teachers through an accredited free program in how to work with and care for asthmatic and allergic kids
- Provided free accredited continuing education programs (CE and CME category 1) on asthma to 1,257 physicians and nurses in TX
- Provided free accredited continuing education to 212 nurses on the recognition and treatment of anaphylaxis and food allergies
- Provided free simultaneous parent/child education programs and worksite Lunch & Learn programs to 1,751 parents and children
- Written and distributed 4500 free handbooks to every school nurse in TX on managing asthma and allergies in schools
- Circulated 102 issues of our free electronic newsletter to more than 12,500 bi-weekly
- Provided 1,694 free asthma devices to children in need
- Directly aided 1080+ patients financially or with information
- Participated in 39 health fairs, offering free spirometry and disease information to more than 29,630 citizens
Our programs alone have directly benefited 139,000 children and adults with asthma and allergies throughout TX. We form new community partnerships and maintain old ones in order to provide these programs and services. We participate in a statewide Outreach Coalition to bring disease control and management awareness to patients through pharmacies and physician drug call-in; we are active members of the Asthma Coalition of Texas, of which we are a founding member & have twice been nominated as the “Star” Organization of the Year by the Ft. Worth Star Telegram. We hold the Seal of Approval, awarded to members of Local Independent Charities of America who have, upon rigorous independent review, been able to certify, document, and demonstrate that they meet the highest standards of public accountability, program effectiveness, and cost effectiveness.